CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Day Twelve.

So the more I read about the effects of sugar the more thankful I become that I'm not eating it. It's a sort of reversed informed decision that I benefit from often. I stopped eating red meat at the age of 11 and only after that did I find out about the higher cancer rates [not to mention cases of Ecoli] in meat eaters than in vegetarians. It's kind of the same feeling as watching the election day coverage knowing that you already voted early, you're intrigued at what's happening with everyone else, but glad you already got that hassle out of your life.

Anyway, today during a relatively slow workday I was browsing for more sugar information. I found that sugar not only adds absolutely nothing to your body in vitamins or minerals, but it also sucks nutrients FROM your body. That's right. Empty calories with no benefits are feeding on the few vitamins you did ingest at dinner while you eat that sugary dessert. Kind of sounds like a parasite, right?

Another benefit that I'm seeing in my own experience, but have been scared to mention is the effect sugar [or the lack of sugar] has on your skin. There are actually several studies, most notably by dermatologists Perricone and Brandt, that reveal the way that sugar breaks down the collagen in the skin and causes inflammation. Both doctors put forward diet plans that are supposed to reduce the inflammation of the skin that causes aging and acne, giving up refined sugar is a large part of these plans. When you think about it logically it really makes sense. Everything you put into your body effects the way your organs function, right? Well, what's the body's largest organ? [If you're not thinking 'the skin' go back to high school health class.] My skin has never felt so resilient. Example, last night I had two glasses of wine before crashing in bed [yes, I'm a lightweight]. Now normally, this would show on my face in the very least as tired and puffy the next day, but today, I looked refreshed and invigorated [even if I didn't feel so]. Also, my normally temperamental skin has been less so in just about every way. If this continues for the next few weeks I may never eat sugar again [yes, vanity is the best motivation.]

0 comments: