CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Day Four.

New favorite snacks:

1. Terra's Sweet Potato Chips [yes, potato chips made from sweet potatoes. The ingredients list is gloriously short: sweet potatoes, sunflower oil...that's it. No mysterious chemicals there.]

2. Green and Black Organic Dark Chocolate bars covered in organic peanut butter [all made with raw sugar...Project Approved! :)]

Seriously, in less than 24 hours I finished an entire bag of these chips and an entire bar of this chocolate. But before you write this experiment off as too easy now, I will admit to still craving my gloriously sweet raspberry Giradelli, but the organic stuff is still a nice pacifier.

Oh, and since I forgot to mention it in my last entry, yesterday morning felt like waking up out of a coma. I couldn't move at all for about 15 minutes after my alarm went off, forget about opening my lead weighted eyes. Since I normally don't face such a problem I can only assume this is a symptom of withdrawal. It actually would have been pretty great if I'd had all day to stay in bed, but on a workday, it sucked. I dragged a** all day long. Oh, and did I mention I also looked like Death? My cheeks were sallow, my eyes were dry, and my nose was runny [though I'm thinking that last part is more a sign of an oncoming cold than this project].

Today, however, was MUCH better. I dare say I was almost chipper. So perhaps I'm getting thru the worst part.

Oh, and because I still can't seem to drink enough water I'm thinking I'll be seeing some positive effects of proper hydration soon as well...whatever those may be.

Now excuse me while I go guzzle another gallon for my trip across the Sahara.

3 comments:

Kiley said...

Dear Candy Girl,

You'd be proud. I think I had one soda Monday because work ordered us all lunch meals, but it wasn't diet, I made sure of that! Other than that, I've definitely cut back on the soda intake - which, unfortanately, made the large case of diet pepsi now sitting my in trunk a waste of money.

I've also been drinking tea instead of coffee more, although I will have a cuppa every so often (like right now, because I bought pumpkin spice creamer and it's smashing...get it? smashing pumpkin (spice)).

Anyway, I was reading your blog about sugar and aspartame and since serotonin is either my biggest ally or arch-enemy, I have decided I need to do whatever I can to make it the former. For instance, where would one purchase organic chocolate? I had a MAJOR craving for dark chocolate last night. I mean - we're talking pregnant lady craving peanut butter covered pickles type craving - so I bought the Hershy's dark chocolate. I looked for organic chocolate at Wal Mart for a long time, but I couldn't find any and resolved to look at the natural foods store in Pendleton next time I'm there.

Aside from attempting to eat to stabalize my seratonin levels and mood (aspartame should be cut. what else?), I am also seeking to make my body feel better in general, not so achey and sluggish. Any thoughts?

Sincerely your biggest fan,
Searching for Answers, Indy

michelle shea said...

Dear Searching for Answers,

First, and most importantly: where to find organic dark chocolate. For this and future reference, you should note that most anything that comes across my lips has been found on the shelves at my beloved Target. If I have to search any further for something I will try to be sure and specify it's purchasing location.

There is an organic dark chocolate brand called 'Green and Black' [or it might be the reversed, but you get the idea] that Target carries in at least two varying degrees of darkness [around 65% for one and over 70% for the other]. However, I will say that while organic sugar products are more ideal, the darker the chocolate, the less sugar content it has anyway. For Walmart shopping, I suggest the slightly more expensive, but totally delicious EXTRA DARK Hershey's bars, they're a step further than the "special dark" and actually make the former taste like lowly milk chocolate by comparison.

As for stablizing your mood, I've actually been doing some fascinating reading about Traditional Chinese Medicine in which the belief is that the body's yin and yang energies must be balanced in order for things to function properly. This includes the properties of the foods that enter your body, they must balance as well. There is one particular website on this topic I frequent called Ask Dr. Mao. Here is a small portion of what he has to say about preventing depression:

http://www.askdrmao.com/qanda.php?show=item.php&item=34&titlename=Depression&articlename=Prevent%20depression?&section=17

Hope that helps. :)

Yours,
Candy Girl

michelle shea said...

**Correction: Green and Black's dark chocolate comes in 70% and 85%. Full of healthy antioxidents and with even the organic sugar second to last on the 85% bars.