CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Round 2: Day Twenty-seven - Day Thirty.

The end feels a bit anticlimactic due to a week long internet blackout after my computer quit on me. However, I have been keeping up with the project, despite the lack of updates.

The final verdict? The results aren't quite as dramatic as last year. This is probably due to the fact that I was much less stringent this round, for my own personal sanity. In round one, I had the motivation to be strict with my diet for the sake of the ending article. I refused to write about a project unless it was fully realized and the results untainted. But for this round, my only motivation was the improvement of my own health, which frankly, isn't as strong as my urge for chocolate. That being said, even with my Miracle Whip cheating and my mid-work candy slip ups, my health and well being has improved. I'm not a part of the super immune like last year, but it is much more possible for me to wake up in the morning and I certainly don't have the overall ickiness that all the junk food was causing me before [not eating potato chip sandwiches on a daily basis probably helped].

So, in ending, I feel as though I should share some of my favorite non-sugar sweets that have gotten me thru the past thirty days.

1. hot tea: usually green and fruity flavored, hot tea has been my best unsweetened indulgence. There really is something to be said for relaxing after dinner with a warm cup in hand...even if it means cranking up the AC to do it in the summer.

2. sugar-free french toast: I've heard many recipes for french toast over the years, some including sugar, some not. Personally, my own method has always been a simple egg + cinnamon mixture to soak the bread, topped with pancake syrup. This recipe on it's own would be project approved with the simple substitute of pure maple syrup for the sugar-laden pancake syrup. However, after deciding on a whim to include the last few drops in the bottle, I made the discovery that adding pure vanilla extract in the mix makes this breakfast even more delicious. I suggest you try it if you haven't.

3. agave nectar: in anything you'd normally put sugar in, really. Throughout the month, I used it in baked goods, and any recipe from my mother. [My mother uses sugar in everything.] It worked particularly well to sweeten deviled eggs while only adding to the creaminess of the texture [since it's liquid instead of granule].

and of course,

4. organic dark chocolate: I prefer 85% or higher, but in a pinch anything above 70% will do. Enjoy it a square at a time and pair it with your hot tea for a melt in your mouth experience.

Now the ultimate question: am I sticking with the project after the 30 days?

Last year, I was obsessed with the positive results and vowed to continue indefinitely [we see how long that lasted though, right]. This year, I made brownies on day 31 and had two for breakfast this morning. So, no, I'm not sticking to it. BUT I am going to keep moderation in mind. The beauty of this project is that it makes you realize the fact that giving up sugar isn't just about an issue of weight or too many cavities, it really does improve your whole well being. As someone who often indulges just because I can, it's good to keep in mind what kind of harm I'm doing to my body. I will continue to shop for organics, continue to try to pacify my sweet tooth with cups of tea, and continue to ask myself if dessert is really what I need...but I'll also enjoy my ability to have a brownie for breakfast when the occasion calls for it.

0 comments: